Friday, August 25, 2023

Fill in the blanks

 





I put pen on paper

with blind hope that

muscle memory will lead me further. 


While flexible poses fashioned my flighty youth,

I can feel the rigid rigor mortis

setting upon the dusk of my adulthood. 


Ah! I can indeed survive by merely scrolling

and autotyping 

and generally not using my brain. 


Play nostalgic games

cocooned in comfort 

in beer bosom.

Do the same work and 

not get off the treadmill 

even when I know 

I am never going anywhere

on this broken machine. 


I know I can but should I?


If the dart is hitting the middle of the forehead

maybe it is time to skateboard off to 

an unknown vortex! 



13 comments:

  1. Skilful collection of thoughts woven together. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, good point – our brains must be exercised at least as much as our bodily muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe it is time to skateboard off to
    an unknown vortex!

    Good option Sam! To venture out is to explore and secure positions which otherwise stays hidden!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's a question we must each answer for ourselves – but the unknown vortex sounds like an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Play nostalgic games cocooned in comfort" is such a relatable line :3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great and clever poem I absolutely love the last line lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate to the first three lines except I nearly always use my computer. It is so much easier than using pen and paper. Maybe because I am all over the page with revisions and work changes. Paper can be so chaotic I can't decipher it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clever, relatable, and so very timely for me. Like Debi, I love the closing. The "unknown vortex" sounds really good right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! Can totally relate to "hoping some kind of muscle memory" will kick in. I find myself returning to poems I wrote way back in the early 2000s for inspiration ... nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The treadmill metaphor really stands out for me. I relate to the fact that it takes work to work that muscle and we have to be more conscious of it working as we age.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When nothing works one should opt for something absolutely uncharted

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of course it's always good to explore new arenas and surely with better hope , so again I say ofcourse you should

    ReplyDelete

Constructive criticism is the lifeblood of any work!