Thursday, September 26, 2024

Substitutions

 




Very often (in life) we substitute

(not immediately 

but over time)

our primary source of gratification. 

The validation I crave

as addicting as nicotine

now comes from work

and not anymore from my

creatively crafted words

but now my 'cleverly' drafted words.

Not camaraderie from my friends

but companionships with The One.

Rather than be filled with guilt

over these ever moving tectonic plates

and drama fought over 

the shifting shapes of time,

graceful acceptance 

of what we have now 

and not just redundant regret 

over what we once had in the past

Acknowledge 

that even though the past lives only in our heads

albeit rent free

We are still very much alive

and can be our own tertiary delights

keeping us balanced

in the right line of sane

Like only old friends can. 


Written for the PU prompt ' Substitutions' 

I am publishing my works after a break and I thank everyone who encouraged me to start writing and sharing it again!


Some pics of the first digitally handwritten draft






2 comments:

  1. Yes, gratifications are fluid. Or our expectations are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Change is inevitable, as we age what gratified us changes too. ...and albeit with wisdom too. Lovely write

    ReplyDelete

Constructive criticism is the lifeblood of any work!